Fail Fast: Succeed Quickly


Video

An interview with Andrea J. Lee, Author,
Multiple Streams Of Coaching Income

Interview conducted by Rosemary Hauschild, MBA,
Owner & Principal, Impact Coaching International(TM).

Impact Coaching(TM): Why did you decide to write a book?

Andrea: There are actually quite a few reasons. The main one was that I had all this stuff going on in my head, and I needed to get it out. I’m a fairly creative person and tend to do a lot of reading. I also journal. But somehow that wasn’t feeling very satisfactory. I felt compelled to be more cohesive and linear about the information I had in my head. And, you know what? I said, “I’m just going to start it. I think there’s a book here, so let’s go for it and see what it becomes.”

And there were business reasons, too. Writing a book is good for business. I’ve sold several hundred copies, and that has helped sell other products on my website. Plus, it’s helped attract more one-on-one clients and consulting opportunities.

Writing a book has a certain caché. It’s a great credibility builder. It’s almost like you’ve got a little bit of that pixie dust. Wow! You did something cool! It greases the wheels for everything else that goes on in your business.

Impact Coaching(TM): At what stage in your career did you write your book?

Andrea: I’ve been in business since 1999. So, I was a couple of years into the experience of actually living the information that I wrote about in the book. I think I wrote it at that particular point in time, because I felt as if I had walked my talk to a significant enough degree that I felt confident that the information was true and good and worth sharing. I didn’t want to write a fairy tale. I wanted to write something that would really help. I published in November, 2004 – not even six months ago. Along the way, I did a lot of pre-promotion, talking about the fact that the book was coming. That began in April and helped create a good launch in November.

Impact Coaching(TM): How does this book fit into your overall business activities?

Andrea: I follow the marketing funnel model of doing business, so the way I see the book is as a wonderful vehicle for the top, widest part of the funnel. In many ways, the book is like an introduction to everything else that I do. If someone comes to me and says they want to coach with me one-on-one, now one of the wonderful things I get to say is, “Have you read the book yet? Read the book first and our work will go that much better if you have that as a foundation.” So everything gets filtered through the book. There’s a common body of knowledge, a shared mind space that everyone comes to me with, having read the book. So we’re able to cover ground a lot more quickly.

One of the biggest compliments anyone paid me about my book was that it bent their brain. Of anything I could have asked for my book to do, it would be opening the mind space and the hearts of readers so something in the book would lodges in their minds and change and open the world up. So, once a person has read the book, if it’s right for us to be working together, their mind has been opened by it, and we don’t have to work as hard.

Impact Coaching(TM): What were the main writing obstacles you encountered and how did you overcome them?

Andrea: One of the main obstacles, really, was confidence. In the book I talk a lot about confidence, so it was only fitting that I should have a crisis of confidence while writing it. Even though I had been a consultant and coach for many years, when I started to put things onto paper, I started to ask myself, “Does this make sense? Does it actually connect the things I’m trying to connect?” I asked those questions as a natural process of caring about the effectiveness of my intellectual property. It wasn’t that that all of a sudden I worried that it was bad material. Rather, I cared enough about my material to make it as good as it could possibly get.

Now, “how did I get over that” is an interesting question. I come from the school of thought that there’s nothing truly original. It’s just that someone is filtering it through a different experience. In actual fact, whenever you are creating something, if you will finish it to 80% completion, it’s ready to go. The other 20% can be finished along the way. I believe it’s about actually completing something to the point where it can have a use in the world and can stop being a secret. The other 20% is okay to do after. There are still lots of imperfections in the book. I embrace those imperfections, because it’s written with that spirit in mind. The information is too important not to get out, because the margins or page numbers or type font isn’t just perfect.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/110147

Updated: March 19, 2019 — 11:14 am